5.26.2009

Funeral Services: Joey Eldon Mortensen

The "Larrys": Ron, DW, Sterling, Darren, My Dad (Kerry)...and Joey

the spray of roses on the casket (they are made of LEATHER)

A friend of Joey's made his casket...it was beautiful

True "Trader Joe" Honor
(the canon was actually fired in the cemetery for him)
We were able to travel up to Mesa this past weekend for the viewing and funeral of my uncle Joey. I was blown away by the number of people that attended both of these events. I heard someone say they counted close to 1,000 people at his funeral. He was truly a wonderful man and touched so many lives whether it was through scouting or by just being himself. His wife, my aunt Vanessa, gave his life story and she did a great job. She kept a good balance between stories that would make us laugh and those that would make us cry. She is so strong - an amazing woman. Also, his children and their spouses each shared a memory of their dad and father-in-law. I am grateful for my uncle Joey and I will miss him. He led his life always serving others and definitely showed us all by example how to live the gospel and love our Savior. Rest in Peace Uncle Joe.

2 comments:

Dallyn Jones said...

thank you so much for taking those pictures brooke. i only had a stupid water camer and only got two pictures of the guys around the herse. anyway, i really wanted one of the flowers and everything. it sure was a beautiful service... this week has been so hard. i never imagined this day and I just cant wait to be with my daddy again

Nelson Family said...

Joey's funeral was the best funeral service we have ever attended, seriously...it made Jim, Aaron, and I want to be better people and to serve people more like your Uncle Joey! He was a great man!! He is going to be missed by so many!! You were so lucky to have him as your Uncle.